Musical legend Sir Elton John continues to navigate life with ‘devastating’ sight loss (Picture: Getty)
Sir Elton John has revealed he’s endured a ‘challenging’ 15 months since losing sight in his right eye.
The 78-year-old star contracted an eye infection while in France in the summer of 2024, which left him blind in his right eye – a situation he’s described as ‘devastating’.
However, Sir Elton is determined to remain optimistic about his long-term prospects.
‘It’s been devastating. Because I lost my right eye and my left eye’s not so good, the last 15 months have been challenging for me because I haven’t been able to see anything, watch anything, read anything,’ the music icon told Variety.
But he added: ‘I’ve had the most incredible life, and there is hope. I’ve just gotta be patient that someday science will help me with this one. Once they help me with this one, I’ll be fine.
‘It’s exactly like the AIDS situation. You mustn’t give up hope, you must be stoic, you must be strong and you must always try and batter the door down to try and improve things.’
The star refuses to ‘give up hope’ though (Picture: Getty)
David Furnish, Elton’s husband, has also retained an optimistic outlook and is hopeful that a scientific breakthrough could prove crucial for the restoration of the chart-topping star’s sight.
He revealed that ‘there’s been some improvements in his left eye’ with treatments they’ve pursued as they continue to explore options but ‘because there’s damage to the retina in his right eye, retinas don’t heal naturally, so it’s an area of emerging science’.
Sir Elton also shared how his celebrity pals have kept his spirits lifted – including Sir Paul McCartney, who FaceTimes him – alongside his ‘wonderful family’.
‘The love I’ve received from him and from Pete Townshend and Mick Jagger and people like that have been amazing. Or you get an email from Keith Richards saying, “Hello, darling, how you doing? You know we love you,” and that’s it, but it just makes my day.’
His husband David Furnish reveals that they’ve been pursuing treatments as doctors have reached out, hoping to help (Picture: Getty)
He also pointed out that he’s ‘still been able to play, I’m still singing’, including a gig at the Singapore Grand Prix in October – his biggest show since retiring from touring in 2023.
Earlier this month he made a rarer appearance on stage to pay tribute to the late great Beach Boys star Brian Wilson at the Los Angeles’ Peacock Theatre for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.
As part of an on-stage tribute to Wilson, who died in June aged 82, Sir Elton shared stories and sang the Beach Boys’ major hit God Only Knows, describing him as ‘my idol’.
‘He was the one who influenced me more than anybody else when it came to writing songs on the piano. It was an evening we would never forget,’ he said of their first encounter, adding: ‘Meeting someone who was a true genius doesn’t happen very often.’
Earlier in November, Sir Elton appeared onstage to pay tribute to Brian Wilson at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (Picture: Getty)
Sir Elton also previously insisted that he feels ‘lucky’, despite his health troubles.
He told The Guardian in February: ‘I’m an optimist permanently.
More Trending
-
Sir Elton John pays emotional tribute to 'idol' during rare appearance
Channel: Music Music November 9, 2025 By Laura Harman - Jeff Brazier admits it’s ‘time to let go’ after revealing reason for splitting from wife
- Katie Price reveals huge new tattoo covering her bum
- Simon Cowell hits back after being 'blamed' for Liam Payne's death
‘I’ve got bad eyesight at the moment. There have been days where I’ve been miserable, but then I think about how lucky I am.’
And he’s keeping busy, announcing plans on Tuesday night to play Rock in Rio next September.
‘I didn’t come to Rio on the Farewell Yellow Brick Tour and I felt that I’d let a lot of my Brazilian fans down, so I want to make up for it,’ the I’m Still Standing singer explained in an announcement video on his Instagram Stories.
Deals of the Day
The best beauty advent calendars for 2025, from Lookfantastic, Cult Beauty to Sephora
Breakdown drama? There’s an app for that – and it gets you help in minutes
Emma is celebrating 10 years of better sleep with free bedding bundles worth hundreds!
Pack 60% more with these cubes that sell every 2 mins – and travel smarter, not heavier
Sick of shaving? This at-home device will save you hundreds on hair removal
‘Come down in September and I’ll give you a fantastic show – and I’m really, really looking forward to it!’
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source