Technology

Calgary’s $129M in federal housing funds ‘paused’ pending citywide rezoning status

2025-11-25 22:27
507 views
Calgary’s $129M in federal housing funds ‘paused’ pending citywide rezoning status

Calgary city council is preparing to debate a motion that calls for the repeal of the citywide rezoning policy in December, which would require a public hearing in the spring.

A significant portion of federal housing funding earmarked for the City of Calgary has been put on pause, pending council’s upcoming discussion on citywide rezoning, Global News has learned.

In a memo to councillors and the mayor sent on Friday, obtained by Global News, city administration said the $129 million in Housing Accelerator Fund money designated for Calgary is “paused pending further clarity on the status of citywide rezoning.”

City administration said in the memo it was informed of the funding pause during a meeting on Friday morning with representatives from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).

According to the memo, if the issue isn’t “clarified” by the end of March, the city’s third installment from the fund “would be relinquished.”

Calgary was awarded $251.3 million, including top-ups, from the federal Housing Accelerator Fund following the adoption of citywide rezoning in 2024, with $129.5 million still owed to the city by CMHC.

Story continues below advertisement

That funding has gone towards several initiatives, including incentivizing the construction of secondary suites, the city’s downtown office conversion program and an affordable housing project.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen. Sign up for breaking National newsletter Sign Up By providing your email address, you have read and agree to Global News' Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

“I feel like I was lied to and misled,” said Ward 13 Coun. Dan McLean, citing repeated assurances that federal housing funding wasn’t tied to council’s May 2024 decision on citywide rezoning.

The move changed Calgary’s land-use bylaw to make residential grade-oriented infill (R-CG) the default residential zoning district across the city, which allows for a variety of housing types, including single-detached, semi-detached, duplexes and rowhouses on a single lot.

More on Calgary More videos
  • 2-alarm fire displaces 10, sends 2 to hospital in Calgary’s northeast
  • Annual Stuff A Bus helps address growing need at Calgary Food Bank
  • ‘Do your research, advocate’: Alberta radio host with brain cyst says long consult wait shows rural care gaps
  • Two hospitalized in serious condition as fire destroys pair of homes in NE Calgary
  • B.C. Premier Eby slams Alberta, Saskatchewan over secret pipeline talks
  • Nearly 1 in 10 terrorism investigations involve someone under 18: CSIS
  • Poilievre responds to accusation that Conservatives run like a ‘frat house’
  • Traffic Tips: Fall and winter cycling

McLean is one of the co-signers of a motion going to council in December to scrap citywide rezoning and revert the city’s land-use bylaw to what it was prior to the previous city council approving the initiative, excluding properties that had development permits approved prior to the motion or any currently under review in the permit process.

“Calgarians were pretty clear they wanted to repeal blanket rezoning and this should not affect the funding,” McLean told Global News. “From my lens, we’ve achieved all of our targets, we’ve shattered them.”

Earlier this year, Calgary announced it had surpassed the targets set out in the Housing Accelerator Fund a year ahead of schedule.

Trending Now
  • Polar vortex set to bring ‘harsh early start to winter’ across Canada
  • It’s unacceptable B.C. has been cut out of pipeline talks, Premier Eby tells Mark Carney

The targets set out in 2023 included 41,858 new housing units by October 2026. According to the city, 44,276 new units were built in less than two years.

Story continues below advertisement

When asked about the funding pause, Calgary Mayor Jeromy Farkas said he has advocated to federal officials that the funding should only focus on housing construction.

“The funding from the federal government should be based on whether the housing gets built, especially if it’s housing at an affordable price point, agnostic of how we choose to get there,” Farkas told reporters.

Housing advocates said they are not surprised by the response from CMHC, and that they hope city council will think twice about repealing citywide rezoning.

“If you’re the federal government, what’s the point in giving us money if we’re not going to take the steps that we need to keep our own housing system stable,” said Kathryn Davies with More Neighbours Calgary.

In the memo, city administration said it is working to review implications, risk and mitigation related to the federal funding, including a previous recommendation that contingency funding wasn’t required.

“Our goal is to preserve funding and continue to address the need for more housing for Calgarians, the memo said.

Global News has reached out to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation for comment.

— More to come…