- News
- World
- Europe
The latest round of talks about peace may be drifting Ukraine’s way but it’s a carousel of chaos, writes world affairs editor Sam Kiley
Tuesday 25 November 2025 18:10 GMTComments
CloseZelensky confirms Trump talks and claims Ukraine will not be an obstacle to peace
On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents
Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents
Get a weekly international news dispatch
Email*SIGN UPI would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our Privacy notice
Ukraine continues to suffer the swings and roundabouts of outrageous fortune at the hands of American negotiators but is learning how to survive the whirligig of the White House.
Donald Trump and his envoys are neither honest brokers nor even allies of Kyiv’s fight to defend itself against Russian invaders.
But, for a little while, it seems that Ukraine has managed to swing them away from being outright enemies.
American officials have reportedly told US media that some kind of a deal has been struck in Abu Dhabi and that the prospects for peace in Ukraine are looking good.
The nature of that deal is key. And there is no clarity on what version of a plan that is, or even whether it’s a blueprint for peace or for just a ceasefire.
Ukraine rejected last week’s Trump administration’s plans for total capitulation by Ukraine. There have been red faces in the White House since it was published with some linguistic analysis suggesting that it may even have been written in Russian.
Marco Rubio, the US secretary of state, apparently had no idea the proposal was in the works. European leaders condemned it, Ukraine rejected it, and Moscow loved it.
Ukraine took the opening brouhaha as an opportunity to whisper its way through to Trump’s people.
open image in galleryZelensky meeting Driscoll (AP)Over the weekend, Kyiv and European leaders took the US proposal that the Russians liked so much and turned it inside out.
Out went Trump’s suggestion that Ukraine give Russia land it hasn’t even captured yet, give America preferential profit deals on projects the US had not even funded, and out went the cap on Ukraine’s forces at 600,000. Out went a ban on Ukraine’s Nato membership and in came a demand for Russian reparations.
Above all, Ukraine would get “chapter five type” security guarantees from the US and all other allies which would trigger a military conflict with Moscow if Russia tried a new invasion.
Now, according to Ukraine’s head of the national security council, Rustem Umerov, America has signed up to some at least of what was agreed with Europe and Ukraine at the weekend.
“Our delegations reached a common understanding on the core terms of the agreement discussed in Geneva. We now count on the support of our European partners in our further steps,” he said.
In Kyiv, a Ukrainian official deeply involved with ceasefire negotiations said that the US appeared to have agreed to adopt Ukraine’s positions.
The official in president Volodymyr Zelensky’s office said that if the deal was “the framework from Geneva, we’re okay. It’s not a bad framework to work further”.
open image in galleryStarmer speaks to the Coalition of the Willing on November 25 (PA)And Zelensky wrote on X: "Following the meetings In Geneva, we see many prospects that can make the path to peace real. There are solid results, and much work still lies ahead.”
But it is not at all clear if the US has done a handbrake turn. Trump has consistently ruled out offering American forces as a guarantee for Ukraine’s future security.
The Geneva plan allows for progressive sanctions to be lifted on Russia and for Moscow to rejoin the G8 economic group of nations.
Trump wants to get back to business in Russia immediately.
Ukraine has said that US negotiators, led by Daniel Driscoll, the US army secretary, had agreed to work within the terms of the new deal.
American officials, seldom given to clarity or veracity anyway, were more vague.
“Over the past week, the United States has made tremendous progress towards a peace deal by bringing both Ukraine and Russia to the table, said Karoline Leavitt, Trump’s press secretary.
“There are a few delicate, but not insurmountable, details that must be sorted out and will require further talks between Ukraine, Russia, and the United States.”
Russia doesn’t like the way that Kyiv has managed to get into the conversation over its own future, nor the way Zelensky’s team have managed to manoeuvre the plan towards its side.
Sergei Lavrov, Russia’s foreign minister, said that if the plan “erased . . . key understandings” that Putin thought he had reached with Trump at an Alaska summit, the “situation will be fundamentally different”.
On Monday Moscow had rejected the Ukrainian-European 19 point plan for peace outright and “completely unconstructive”.
For Zelensky, and is allies, all efforts will be focused on how to stay on the Trump carousel of chaos long enough for him to agree to their proposals.
But it is Putin whom he sees as the ringmaster and who will likely whip the US back to the Russian line.
More about
UkraineDonald TrumpKyivpeaceMoscowdealJoin our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
Comments