Tunbridge Wells residents collect bottled water from a designated centre as a water outage has left tens of thousands without supply (Picture: UKNIP)
Tens of thousands of people were left with either no running water or low pressure after a water shortage gripped a town.
South East Water apologised for the situation which has affected some 24,000 people living in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
It said that supply had been interrupted due to a water treatment plant having to shut down, leaving drinking water stocks running low.
A bottled water station set up at Tunbridge Wells Sports Centre quickly ran out this morning as concerned locals raced for supplies. It was forced to temporarily close to replenish stocks.
Another centre set up at Sovereign Way has since closed due to the winter festival due to take place in the town, with a replacement being currently being looked for.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro's News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
Around 1,700 priority customers who are unable to collect water in person will have bottles delivered to their homes, South West Water confirmed.
The water board estimated it would take until at least 6am on Sunday for supply to resume to all customers in the area.
Frustrated residents complained about the disruption as well as chaos at bottled water centres, where some people reported waiting hours to pick up packs.
Locals queue up for bottled water. South East Water said it hoped to resume supply to all customers in the area by 6am tomorrow. (Picture: UKNIP)
One wrote on Facebook: ‘My son waited at the water bottle station in Tonbridge for 2 hours this morning, along with many others.
‘The lorry full of bottled water is there with another full lorry waiting down the road. They aren’t allowed to unload the water as there has to be a rep from SE Water there! Disgusting.’
Mother-of-two Nicola Hodgson from nearby Pantilles said her husband hadunsuccessfully tried to get water supplies at the sports centre this morning.
‘We have two young children, aged five and seven, so [they] have decamped to their grandmothers for the moment, so we can get them something to drink and have working toilets’, she told the BBC.
Local businesses reported being forced to close over the weekend due to the ongoing outage.
Indian takeaway Spice Fusion told its customers: ‘Please note that Spice Fusion will remain closed tonight due to a water interruption in Tunbridge Wells which makes it impossible for us to operate safely and maintain our hygiene standards.
‘We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
‘We will reopen as soon as the water supply is restored.’
Families are relying on emergency bottle supplies (Picture: UKNIP)
Eating establishments are unable to open by law without working toilets, including takeaways which must have them available for staff.
Teresa Barrett, the landlady of the Black Horse, said she had no choice but to close today as her pub had been without water since midnight.
She added that she ‘couldn’t afford’ to be closed given the current trading environment and said that hospitality was losing an ‘extreme amount of money’ due to the disruption.
South East Water said in a statement earlier today: ‘We’re sorry to customers in the Tunbridge Wells area who continue to have no water or low pressure. This is due to an issue at our Pembury Water Treatment Works, resulting in the site shutting down.
‘This has caused the dependent local drinking water storage tanks to run low. ‘
It added: ‘Our customer care team has been delivering bottles of water to all customers on our Priority Services Register who have indicated to us that they would be unable to collect water from a bottled water station. ‘
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Arrow MORE: ‘I went out to buy my dying dad some slippers – and then I got a £100 parking fine’
Arrow MORE: All four episodes of ‘intense’ BBC drama about harrowing true story streaming now
Arrow MORE: Killer casually waits for police after stabbing family friend with ‘unimaginable depravity’
Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source News UpdatesStay on top of the headlines with daily email updates.
Email I agree to receive newsletters from Metro I agree to receive newsletters from Metro Sign UpSign UpThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Your information will be used in line with our Privacy Policy