Technology

Ruben Gallego Slams Trump For Announcing Pardon Of Former Honduran President Convicted Of Drug Trafficking: 'This Doesn't Make Sense?'

2025-11-30 11:07
874 views

Democratic Sen. Ruben Gallego slammed President Donald Trump for announcing he would pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, sentenced to 45 years in prison for drug trafficking last ...

U.S. Sen. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ) U.S. Sen. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ) Photo by Rebecca Noble/Getty Images

Democratic Sen. Ruben Gallego slammed President Donald Trump for announcing he would pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, sentenced to 45 years in prison for drug trafficking last year in the U.S.

"So we are illegally killing drug runners in the Caribbean on boats that will never make it to the US and pardoning cartel kingpins that a US jury has convicted for drug running? Anyone else see how this doesn't make sense?" Gallego said in a social media publication, a reference to accusations against the administration of conducting extra-judicial killings with its strikes of alleged drug vessels in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.

Trump said on Friday he would pardon Hernandez when expressing support for Tito Asfura in the Honduran elections. "I will be granting a Full and Complete Pardon to Former President Juan Orlando Hernandez who has been, according to many people that I greatly respect, treated very harshly and unfairly. This cannot be allowed to happen," Trump added.

Hernandez was convicted in June 2024 York federal court after being found guilty of drug and gun trafficking charges. He was also required to pay a $8 million fine.

Hernández had already been found guilty by a jury in March. His lawyers had requested the minimum sentence for these kinds of crimes, 40 years, while prosecutors in the case requested the maximum one, life in prison.

Judge Kevin Castel described Hernández as a "two-faced, power hungry politician" who protected a group of drug traffickers for financial and political benefit. Hernández has always rejected the claims and, in a letter sent to the judge, he reiterated that the trial "is full of errors and injustices."

"The prosecutors and agents did not do the proper due diligence with the investigation to know the whole truth," read a passage of the letter sent to judge Castel, who also sentenced Hernández's brother to life, Juan Antonio, back in 2021, also on drug trafficking charges.

Prosecutors, however, were successful in proving that Hernández conspired with drug cartels during his tenure as president. They said he was instrumental in moving more than 400 tons of cocaine through Honduras toward the United States in exchange of millions of dollars in bribes that Hernández used to fund his political career.

He was president of Honduras from 2014 to 2022 and was extradited to the United States after he finished his second term on charges of conspiracy to import cocaine into the U.S., conspiracy to possess firearms and destructive devices for drug trafficking, and possession of this type of weapon during the drug trafficking conspiracy.

Some of the most important witnesses assured the court that the former president used bribe money to solidify his political status and even accepted one million dollars from the Sinaloa Cartel, led by Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán.

Related
  • Democratic Rep. Says Pete Hegseth May Have Committed War Crimes With Reported Order To Finish Off Survivors Of Vessel Strike Hegseth Polygraph Test_07272025_1
  • Senate Dems Seek To Declassify DOJ Memo Justifying Strikes On Alleged Drug Vessels: 'Few Decisions Are More Consequential' Venezuelan vessel attacked by USA Navy Caribbean

© 2025 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Tags: Ruben Gallego, Democrats, Donald Trump