Technology

MSU football has $32.5 million Jonathan Smith decision to make after eight straight losses

2025-11-25 05:57
612 views
MSU football has $32.5 million Jonathan Smith decision to make after eight straight losses

Michigan State coach Jonathan Smith continues to struggle in East Lansing. With one game left this season, Smith said Monday he trusts his team to deliver a solid conclusion to an underwhelming season...

MSU football has $32.5 million Jonathan Smith decision to make after eight straight lossesStory byVideo Player CoverZain BandoTue, November 25, 2025 at 5:57 AM UTC·2 min read

MSU football has $32.5 million Jonathan Smith decision to make after eight straight losses originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

Michigan State Spartans coach Jonathan Smith met the media Monday and attempted to address the biggest elephant in the room: his job security.

AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement

Smith clarified that while he recognizes the frustration coming from all angles, all he can control is himself and his team's outcome.

"You go back to this approach and you understand the landscape that you're in," Smith told reporters. "And so that's what we're locked in on – tomorrow's practice and headed toward this game. Yeah, on the recruiting side, we've been working on that for a year, on the recruiting class and relationship-building. And then you forecast to the next couple of months, how much rosters are fluid, and the opportunity that is January for us."

Smith said eight consecutive losses, which included a 20-17 defeat at the expense of the Iowa Hawkeyes this past Saturday, is not what he had envisioned entering his second season in East Lansing.

"We did not anticipate having a stretch like this, no question," Smith said. "Understood, though, how difficult this league is, and it is tough to win. Sometimes it's tough to win, it's easy to lose and one or two plays really can send a game in the wrong direction. … I look at it, two out of the last three, we've got the lead with under 2 minutes, and so it's tough to win. You've gotta be able to finish out, and every detail matters, out of all three phases."

AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement

The last thing Smith said he'll do, though, is fold under scrutiny.

"What, you just quit? You run? You start blaming others? It's like, no. Keeping the main thing this week, we've been going at it, deeply believing in these guys. And we want it for them to come out on the right side of the scoreboard, and that's the approach this week."

If the Spartans were to cut ties, CBS Sports reported earlier this month, it would cost roughly $32.4 million.

Now, it's up to them to see if it's worth the risk.

AdvertisementAdvertisement